The Islamic Republic of Mauritania has been a FiTI Candidate country since December 2018.
Mauritania is renowned for its abundant and diverse fisheries resources. Nearly 600 fish species have been inventoried, of which more than 200 are commercially exploitable. The importance that marine fisheries play for Mauritania in fulfilling the economic, employment, food security, and nutrition needs of its people cannot be underestimated.
|Commitment to implement the FiTI:||3 February 2016|
|FiTI Lead Ministry:||Ministry of Fisheries and Maritime Economy|
|FiTI National Lead:||[Currently vacant]|
|Head of FiTI National Secretariat:||Mr Lamine Camara|
|Contact within the FiTI International Secretariat:||Mr Mansor Ndour|
The FiTI International Board approved Mauritania’s Candidate application on 13 December 2018 during its 5th Board meeting.
|No.||Calendar year||Transparency requirements||Submission date||Download|
|1||2018||6||18 May 2021||2018 FiTI Report|
|2||2019 & 2020||12||24 March 2022||2019/20 FiTI Report|
|3||2021||6||26 April 2023||2021 FiTI Report|
Mauritania’s next FiTI Report, covering calendar year 2022, is due by the end of 2023.
The FiTI International Board has recognised Mauritania’s efforts to implement the FiTI Standard with a score of ‘meaningful progress’ in the first validation of the country; time frame: December 2018 until March 2022.
The ’meaningful progress’ score means that Mauritania, for now, remains a FiTI Candidate Country. As part of its Compliance Statement, the FiTI International Board has issued five corrective actions for Mauritania to undertake which, if properly addressed, will see the country progress to the status of a FiTI Compliant Country. The Board will review the implementation status of these corrective actions during the next validation of Mauritania, which is scheduled to start in June 2024.
- Mauritania publishes 3rd annual FiTI Report, covering calendar year 2021
- FiTI International Board sees ‘meaningful progress’ of FiTI implementation in Mauritania
- Mauritania releases 2nd FiTI Report, boosting access to fisheries information for calendar years 2019 and 2020
- Webinar: Transparency of fisheries in Mauritania (and beyond) | 27 July 2021
- Mauritania launches its 1st FiTI Report!
- Mauritania shares experience in providing first FiTI workplan
- Mauritania becomes 1st FiTI Candidate country
- PRCM & FiTI join forces to promote fisheries transparency in West Africa
- Mauritania consolidates progress towards a FiTI Candidate application
- 2nd INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE: Launching a new era of transparency and participation in fisheries
- Mauritania launches its FiTI National Multi-Stakeholder Group
- SRFC & FiTI Secretariat partner to enhance transparent and inclusive fisheries
- Mauritania urges world to fight fishing secrecy; three more countries commit
- Mauritania continues support for the development of the FiTI
- GUEST ARTICLE – Stakeholders of Mauritanian fisheries sector want to set an example for FiTI implementation
- MEDIA ADVISORY – Mauritania to launch new fisheries transparency initiative
- Mauritania eyes multiple benefits of transparent fisheries management
- INTERVIEW – Minister reiterates Mauritanian commitment to implement the FiTI
- Visit to Mauritania gives shape to FiTI
- Transparency is key to fisheries, Peter Eigen emphasizes at World Bank Spring Meeting